Upsilon Pi Epsilon (UPE) is the first and only international honor society in the Computing and Information disciplines. UPE was founded at Texas A&M University in 1967. The Alpha Chapter of Virginia was chartered at Virginia Tech in 1974. Membership in UPE is limited to students and faculty who can effectively achieve the goals of the society:
- Recognition of outstanding talent in the computing sciences
- Promotion of high scholarship in the computing sciences
- Establishment and maintenance of high standards
- Representation of the computing sciences in interdisciplinary communications
- Encouragement of individual contributions to society through the computing sciences
We also try to encourage a sense of unity and camaraderie within the computer science department through some of our activities. Members volunteer to assist with weekly tutoring sessions for undergraduate students in freshman and sophomore level computer science classes. We also volunteer our time to administer the department-sponsored senior composite pictures taken each year. Social activities are also promoted to encourage a sense of community among student members and non-members alike.
For more information about our organization, visit the various links on our site or contact one of our officers.